The Guns at Last Light
Volume Three of the Liberation Trilogy
“A magnificent book… Though the story may seem familiar, I found surprising detail on every page… Atkinson’s account of D-Day is both masterly and lyrical… [He] is an absolute master of his material.”
—Max Hastings, The Wall Street Journal
“[Atkinson] reconstructs the period from D-Day to V-E Day by weaving a multitude of tiny details into a tapestry of achingly sublime prose… With great sensitivity, Atkinson conveys the horrible reality of what soldiers had to become to defeat Hitler’s Germany.”
—The Washington Post
“The same qualities that garnered Atkinson a Pulitzer Prize for An Army at Dawn—meticulous research married to masterful narrative—are apparent in The Guns at Last Light. The new book relates the oft-told (but never better) story of the war’s final year, from D-Day to the German surrender.”
—The Chicago Tribune
Rick Atkinson is the bestselling author of An Army at Dawn (winner of the Pulitzer Prize for history), The Day of Battle, The Long Gray Line, In the Company of Soldiers, and Crusade. His many other awards include a Pulitzer Prize for journalism, the George Polk award, and the Pritzker Military Library Literature Award. A former staff writer and senior editor at The Washington Post, he lives in Washington, D.C.
News & Events
You can meet Rick Atkinson in person at these upcoming events:
- Monday, June 3, 2013: Quail Ridge Books & Music, Raleigh, NC
- Tuesday, June 4, 2013: Filson Historical Society, Louisville, KY
- Saturday, June 8, 2013: Lewis Main Exchange, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA*
- Saturday, June 8, 2013: Elliot Bay Book Company, Seattle, WA
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013: Free Library of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
- Wednesday, June 12, 2013: Georgia Center for the Book, Decatur, GA
- Thursday, June 13, 2013: McKinnis-Wickham Hall, Fort Benning, GA*
- Thursday, June 13, 2013: National Infantry Museum, Columbus, GA
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013: Enoch Pratt Free Library, Baltimore, MD
- Saturday, July 20, 2013: Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference, Grapevine, TX
*Note: Must have military ID to attend Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA and Fort Benning, GA events.
Rick Atkinson to Write New Series on the American Revolution
Click Here to read the press release.
Rick Atkinson Interviewed on Kansas Public Radio’s “Up to Date”
Rick was interviewed on Kansas Public Radio’s “Up to Date” to discuss The Guns at Last Light. You can listen to the interview Here.
Rick Atkinson Interviewed on Meet the Press “Press Pass”
Rick discusses The Guns at Last Light with David Gregory on Meet the Press “Press Pass”. You can listen to the interview Here.
Rick Atkinson Interviewed on NPR’s Morning Edition
Rick was interviewed on NPR’s Morning Edition to discuss The Guns at Last Light. You can listen to the interview Here.
Rick Atkinson Interviewed on Morning Joe
Rick was interviewed on MSNBC’s Morning Joe to discuss The Guns at Last Light. You can listen to the interview Here.
Rick Atkinson on Facebook
Like Rick Atkinson on Facebook for news and updates about the Liberation Trilogy.
The Guns at Last Light — available now!
The conclusion to Rick Atkinson’s Liberation Trilogy about the Allied triumph in Europe during World War II is now available. Explore more about the book